A Pullman Timeline
April, 30, 1997, Rev. December 7, 2002
Compiled by Frank H. Beberdick
1831 3 March, George Mortimer Pullman born
Brocton, Chatauqua County, New York.
1856 The R.T. Woodruff Co. was formed. Silver Palace Cars were
introduced in 1866. By 1870 Woodruff had 21 cars in operation and
8 additional cars were built for him by Barney & Smith in 1875.
1862 The Central Transportation Co. was formed as a consolidation
between Woodruff and E.C. Knight. Central Transportation controlled the Eastern routes and
most sleeping-car patents. They became the largest sleeping-car company in the country.
1862 The Indianapolis & St. Louis Sleeping Coach Co. was founded.
This company operated sleeping cars between Terre Haute, IN and Columbus, OH. Pullman
purchased the assets of the company in 1871.
1865 The Southern Transportation Co., a subsidiary of Central
Transportation was formed to fill the demands for new markets in sleeping cars during the
reconstruction of the railroads in the Southeast at the end of the Civil War.
1865 The Erie & Atlantic Sleeping Coach Co. was a joint stock
association organized in New York State. In 1872 Pullman purchased two-thirds of the
capital stock of this company. This transaction enabled Pullman to gain control of the
sleeping-car service between Chicago and New York. In 1888 the Association was dissolved
when Pullman acquired all of the stocks and assets of the company.
1866 Pullman, Kimball and Ramsey Sleeping Car Co. formed in Atlanta, GA
on May 19. This was an effort by Pullman to counter the control of sleeping-car service in
the South by Southern Transportation Co.
1866 Webster Wagner (1817-1882) formed the New York Central Sleeping Car
Co. This company would see several presidents appointed by the Vanderbilt family including
its last, a son-in-law, William Webb. The name was changed to the Wagner Palace Car Co. in
1886. During Webb's fifteen-year tenure he expanded the company's Buffalo shops and
secured an experienced car builder, Thomas Bissell, superintendent of Barney & Smith
and at one time head of Pullman's shops in Detroit.
1867 Pullman's Palace Car Co. formed in Illinois on 22 February. The
company's initial offering of one million dollars in capital stock was quietly sold to
railroad leaders and Chicago businessmen.
1867 On December 24th the Detroit Car & Manufacturing Co. was
1868 Pullman Palace Car Co. bought out Kimball and Ramsey and formed the
Pullman Southern Palace Car Co. This company was merged with the parent company in the
late 1890s that had always controlled it.
1868 The Pullman Pacific Car Co. was incorporated in the State of New
York to provide sleeping-car service on the Union Pacific Railroad. Andrew Carnegie joined
the newly-formed company as a major stockholder. Stock control was obtained by Pullman's
Palace Car Co. on 15 November 1870.
1870 Pullman's Pacific Car Co. provided equipment for the first
chartered Transcontinental excursion from Atlantic to Pacific sponsored by the Boston
Board of Trade. The eight-car train traveled round-trip from Boston to San Francisco
between May and June.
1870 Pullman signed a 99 year lease for control of the Central
Transportation Co. At the same time the Southern Transportation Co. was leased by Pullman.
Full acquisition of the Central Transportation Co. did not occur until 1899, two years
after the death of George Pullman.
1870 The Detroit Car & Manufacturing Co. purchased by Pullman Palace
Car Co. This plant was located in Detroit on a large block at Crogham and Dequindre,
intersected by the Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad tracks. One source indicates that the
shops were located at Beaubien Street, and later they were moved to Monroe Avenue. The
first Pullman-built cars came from these shops.
1870 In March the Crescent City Sleeping Car Co. was incorporated in the
State of Kentucky. An amendment dated 13 February 1871 changed the name of the company to
Pullman Southern Car Co. On 10 October 1872, Pullman, Kimball
& Ramsey Sleeping Car Co. was acquired by Pullman Southern in exchange for capital
stock. With the Southern Transportation Co. lease, Pullman now controlled the Southeast.
1871 During February the name of the Crescent City Sleeping Car Co.
changed to Pullman Southern Car Co.
1871 On August 1st Pullman acquired the Indianapolis & St. Louis
Sleeping Coach Co.
1871 In October an Association Agreement was signed with the Union
Pacific and Pullman Pacific ceased operating, and was officially liquidated in 1884. The
Central Pacific signed with Pullman in 1883, thus consolidating transcontinental
sleeping-car service for the first time.
1871 The Woodruff Sleeping & Parlor Coach Co. was incorporated on 19
May in the State of Pennsylvania
1872 The company acquired shops at Elmira, NY from Erie & Atlantic
Sleeping Car Co..
1872 Paine Lines, so-called, merged with Pullman Southern Car Co. on
1872 Pullman Southern Car Co. was officially organized and began
business with Pullman participating.
1872 Pullman Kimball and Ramsey Sleeping Car Co. officially merged with
Pullman Southern Car Co.
1873 The property of the Detroit Car & Manufacturing Co. was
purchased by Pullman and operated as the Detroit Shops of Pullman.
1873 Pullman entered the foreign market under an operating contract with
the Midland Railway Co. of England. Six cars were built at the Detroit shops and shipped
disassembled in 1874. This venture was unsuccessful as the demand for the cars was not
great. The assets were sold to Pullman Company, Ltd. ("English Pullman") about
1873 Pullman acquired on January 31st the business of Detroit &
Milwaukee Sleeping Car. Co.
1875 Parlor cars introduced into Pullman service.
1877 Pullmans offer to purchase all the stock of Southern
Transportation Co. was approved by directors and stockholders of that company.
1880 Pullman Land Association organized as a Massachusetts trust. During
1880-1882 capital stock issued (Net of 16,042 shares).
1880 Construction was started on the Chicago plant and the adjacent
company town. The Pullman Palace Car Co. had acquired 3600 acres of land for the project.
The first building to be completed was for the Allen Paper Car Wheel plant. The company
town at the height of its development had about 12,000 inhabitants.
1880 Shops were established at Mantua, PA.
1881 The company established a shop in St. Louis.
1881 The Union Foundry and Pullman Car Wheel Works created by change of
name on April 28th. Pullman acquired $150,000. of stock in Union Foundry and Pullman Car
Wheel Works on May 2nd.
1883 The main office for Pullman was built in Chicago at the corner of
Michigan Avenue and Adams Street.
1883 The Mann Boudoir Car Co. was chartered in the state New York on
March 23rd. The company operated at a loss for the five years of its existence.
1883 G.M. Pullman and his associates founded and began operation of the
Pullman Loan & Savings Bank. Pullmans Palace Car Co. put up $62,000. of the
1884 The Mantua, PA shops were abandoned.
1884 On May 1st Pullman Pacific Car Co. ceased operations.
1884 Pullman started operations in Mexico; providing service between El
Paso and Mexico City. This was a successful operation, lasting, except during the Mexican
Revolution between 1914 and 1920. It continued until the Pullman Co. was dissolved.
1886 The shops at Elmira, NY were abandoned and a new shop at
Wilmington, DE was established.
1886 Pullman purchased the plant of Dure Car Manufacturing Co., formerly
Bowers, Dure & Co., Wilmington, Delaware.
1886 The Union Foundry adjacent to the Chicago Pullman Works was bought
by the company.
1888 The Union Palace Car Co. was incorporated 24 September in New
Jersey to secure control of the Woodruff and Mann companies through an exchange of common
stock. Mann had a shop in Ludlow, KY.
1888 G.M. Pullman sold 2200 shares of Allen Paper Car Wheel Co. to
Pullmans Palace Car Co.
1888 Sherwin-Williams purchased a controlling interest in the Calumet
Paint Co. in Chicago from Pullman.
1889 The Union Palace Co. was absorbed by Pullman.
1891 The St. Louis repair shops were destroyed by fire and rebuilt in
1892 Fire destroyed the first market hall in Pullman community on April
7th. Structure was soon built
1893 Detroit shops abandoned because of the nationwide recession.
1894 Assets of the Union Foundry and Pullman Car Wheel works were sold
to Pullman and the bill of sale was executed October 1st. On October 4th Union Foundry and
Pullman Car Wheel Works were dissolved.
1894 On May 11th a strike was called by the American Railway Union
headed by Eugene Debs. On August 2nd the strike collapsed with the ARU officers in jail.
The plant reopens.
1894 Pullman Southern Car Co. dissolution approved by Directors of the
1896 On July 31 Pullmans Palace Car Co. acquired the outstanding
shares of Pullman Land Association for cash or in exchange for its own stock.
1896 By July 31st Pullmans Palace Car Co. had acquired the 16,042
outstanding shares of Pullman Land Association for cash or in exchange of its own stock.
Until May 31, 1924, Pullman Land Association was a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Pullmans Palace Car Co. and its successor, The Pullman Co.
1897 G.M. Pullman died and Robert T. Lincoln, the son Abraham Lincoln,
assumed presidency of the company. When Pullman died he left behind an estate of $7.6
million, 2490 railroad cars, and a $63.5 million corporation.
1899 Pullman purchased the property of Pullman Iron & Steel Co. on
1900 The Pullman Palace Car Co. bought its major competitor, the Wagner
Palace Car Co. of Buffalo, NY on 1 January. The area of the plant located at Broadway and
Bailey covered 35.7 acres.
1900 Corporate name changed to The Pullman Company.
1900 The Allen Paper Car Wheel Works, adjacent to the main factory, was
bought by the Pullman Company.
1900 On 1 September the Calumet Shops at Chicago were opened as a repair
shop. James Wares became their first manager and remained in that capacity until his
retirement in 1918. These shops had previously been used for street car production.
1901 The Wilmington, DE repair shops were completely rebuilt.
1902 The Standard Steel Car Co. was incorporated on 2 January with a
capital stock of $3 million. The plant was located at Butler, PA. This company was formed
by J.M. Hansen and James B. "Diamond Jim" Brady.
1902 Detroit Shops sold to Detroit United Railway.
1906 On August 25th Pullman Railroad Co. was incorporated in Illinois as
a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Pullmans Palace Car Co., the predecessor of the
1906 The Standard Steel Car Co. built a plant at Hammond, IN. The plant
was designed to produce both passenger and freight cars. During WWI this facility turned
out military railway cars, shell forgings and 240 mm Howitzer carriages. Among other
products turned out during WWII were M-3 and M-4 tanks. The army combat tank program was
to produce 3928 units between November 1941 and August 1945.
1907 In March the first modern steel car, the Jamestown was built at a
cost of $30,000, to serve as the Pullman Company's exhibit at the
Jamestown Exposition at Norfolk, VA.
1907 The Pullman Co. by court order was required to sell the company
town and all property it did not need for car construction.
1907 The south wing of the erecting shop in Chicago at Cottage Grove and
111th Street was rebuilt to larger dimensions to accommodate steel car construction.
1907 Pullman Loan & Savings Bank name changed to The Pullman Trust
& Savings Bank.
1909 Land acquired in Richmond, CA for establishing shops.
1909 A small shop located on leased ground at Ludlow, KY, near
Cincinnati was opened in December.
1909 The assets of Mann's Boudoir Car Co. and the Union Palace Car Co.
sold to Pullman Co. on 31 October.
1909 On October 31st the assets of Woodruff Sleeping and Parlor Coach
Co. sold to Pullman.
1910 The company secured 133 acres on the north side of 103rd Street in
Chicago, immediately north of the passenger site and erected a building for freight car
1911 Robert T. Lincoln resigned the presidency of the company and John
S. Runnells was the named the new president.
1911 A site of 21 acres was acquired at Richmond, CA for plant
construction. This plant replaced the one located in Denver which was soon closed after
the California plant was completed.
1912 The last major acquisition of outside rolling stock took place on
31 December when the company purchased 252 wooden cars from the New York, New Haven &
Hartford Railroad. Pullman viewed this purchase as the elimination of another competitor.
Restrictions were put on the use of wooden cars in the tunnels approaching the new Grand
Central Station and the NYNH &H could not afford to replace these cars
1915 George Pullman left in his will the sum of $1.2 million for the
establishment of a school for children of the company's employees. This resulted in the
construction of the Pullman School of Manual Training. The school opened this year on
111th Street several blocks west of the shops and company town.
1918 Construction on new repair shops started at St. Louis. Large
additions were started on the existing Buffalo plant.
1920 From July of this year through 1922 the company produced
approximately 13,000 steel automobile bodies for the Packard Motor Car Co. These bodies
were produced in a plant constructed in 1919 in the north part of the manufacturing area
at Maryland Avenue and 103rd Street. During 1919, 50,000 phonograph cabinets were produced
in this plant for the Edison Phonograph Works. This building was converted to an apartment
complex during the 1970s.
1922 Edward F. Carey replaced John Runnells as president and was to
remain in this position until 1929. During this year Carey negotiated a merger with the
freight car builder, Haskell & Barker Co. of Michigan City, IN. John Runnells became
chairman of the board at this time.
1923 First modern lightweight car built for the Illinois Central
suburban service in Chicago.
1924 On May 31st the stock of the Pullman Land Association was
transferred to Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) in exchange for stock.
1924 On May 31st the stock of the Pullman Railroad Co. was transferred
to Pullman Car & Manufacturing Co. (Illinois) in exchange for stock.
1924 The Pullman Co. transferred all its shares of Pullman Railroad Co.
to Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) in exchange for a portion of its
originally issued stock.
1924 The Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. was incorporated in
Illinois on June 18th to consolidate its car building interests.
1924 All of the capital stock of Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp.
(Illinois) was issued to The Pullman Co. on June 19th in exchange for the net assets of
the manufacturing department of The Pullman Co. The transfer was effective as of May 31,
1924 and included all of the shares of Harbor City Land Co. Harbor City Land Co. was a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Haskell & Barker Car Co. of Indiana.
1927 Pullman Safe Deposit Co. was incorporated as a wholly-owned
subsidiary of The Pullman Trust and Savings Bank on March 4th (250 shares of capital stock
- $100. par value).
1927 On April 1st Dickson Car Wheel Co. was acquired by Pullman Car
& Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois).
1927 June 21 Pullman, Inc. was incorporated in Delaware.
1927 New Orleans Car Wheel Co., Inc. was incorporated in Louisiana as a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. on June 25th.
1927 The directors of the Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp.
(Illinois) approved on July 8th the purchase of the entire capital stock of New Orleans
Car Wheel Co., Inc. This subsidiary was incorporated to operate a car wheel foundry
constructed pursuant to directors resolution of January 11, 1927.
1927 Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) paid on July 11th
all of the shares of Pullman Land Association as a dividend to The Pullman Co.
1927 Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) paid all of the
shares of Pullman Railroad Co. as a dividend to The Pullman Co. on July 11th.
1927 July 27th Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois)
purchased all of the shares of Pullman Railroad Co. from the Pullman Co. for the same
amount at which these shares were distributed as a dividend on July 11, 1927
1927 The Pullman Co. on July12th transferred all the outstanding stock
of Pullman Car &Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) to Pullman Inc. in exchange for stock
of Pullman Inc. This exchange was made in connection with the reorganization of The
Pullman Co., Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) and the organization of
Pullman Inc. The Pullman Co. also received Pullman Inc. stock in exchange for its own
stock, and thereupon, became a subsidiary of Pullman Inc. The Pullman Co. became a 99.62
percent owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. as of March 20, 1928. This reorganization was
effected by Pullman Inc. acquiring all of the outstanding shares (500,000) of Pullman Car
& Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) from The Pullman Co. on July12, 1927, in exchange for
675,000 shares of Pullman Inc. stock. By December 31, 1929, 1,349,232 shares had been
1927 On July 27th Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois)
purchased all of the shares of Pullman Land Association from the Pullman Co. for the same
amount at which these shares were distributed on July 11, 1927. Until December 22, 1947,
Pullman Land Association was a subsidiary of Pullman Car Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois)
and its successors, Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) and its successors,
Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware) and Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing
1928 C.A. Liddle appointed president of Pullman Car and Manufacturing
Corp. He remained in this position until 1935.
1929 Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. of Alabama was incorporated
on January 15th in Alabama with an authorized capital of 20 shares and became a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. The business was operated by Pullman Car &
Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) under a lease agreement.
1929 During this year a subsidiary of the Tennessee Coal & Iron
Railroad Co. of Alabama, the Chicksaw Shipbuilding and Car Co., was purchased by
Pullman-Standard. Some of the buildings and equipment were moved to Bessemer, AL. Here
they formed part of the sixteen-building plant for the production of various types of
freight cars. During WWII bomb casings were added to their product mix.
1929 John Runnells resigned as chairman of the board and David A.
Crawford assumed his responsibilities. Crawford was to remain chairman until 1947.
1930 On February 18th Osgood Bradley Car Co. (Massachusetts) and Pullman
Inc. entered into a purchase agreement
1930 Osgood Bradley Car Corp. was incorporated on February 20th in
Delaware. Stock ownership was assigned by Pullman Inc. to Standard Steel Car Corp.
(Pennsylvania). The Osgood Bradley plant was the single Pullman plant that was equipped
for mass production of electrically operated streetcars and trolley coaches. The first
passenger car built for steam roads came out of Bradleys shop in 1833.
1930 Standard Steel Car Corp. was incorporated on February 24th in
Pennsylvania as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. This corporation was created as
part of the Standard Steel Car Co. (Pennsylvania) and Osgood Bradley Car Co.
(Massachusetts) take over agreement. The agreement permitted use of the name: Osgood
Bradley Car Corp. (Delaware).
1930 On March 1st Pullman Inc. acquired the properties of the Standard
Steel Car Co. (Pennsylvania) and subsidiaries and Osgood Bradley Car Co. (Massachusetts)
in exchange for Pullman Inc. stock and cash. Included among the properties acquired was
the Middletown Car Co. During 1907 the first freight cars from the Standard Steel Car Co.
were completed at the Hammond shop. During 1909 the first passenger cars were completed in
1931 Standard Steel Car Corp. (Pennsylvania) declared a special dividend
on February 18th of all the outstanding stock of Middletown Car Co. to Pullman Inc.
1931 The name of Middletown Car Co. was changed on March 5th to Pullman
Standard Car Export Corp.
1931 The Pullman ice-cooled air-conditioned cars placed in service. Also
placed in service was the double deck bed-room car.
1931 Middletown Car Co. (Proprietary) Limited name changed to
Pullman-Standard Car Corp. (Proprietary) Limited.
1931 Standard Steel Car Corp. of Delaware was incorporated in Delaware
on December 15th. All of the stock was issued to Pullman Inc. in exchange for all of the
outstanding capital stock of Standard Steel Car Corp. (Pennsylvania).
1931 On December 23rd Dickson Car Wheel Co. became a subsidiary of
Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware), when Pullman Car & Manufacturing
Corp. (Illinois) transferred all of its assets to the Delaware corporation.
1931 Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) was reincorporated
in Delaware on December 31st. Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware) transferred
all of its stock to Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) in exchange for the
net assets of that company. Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) distributed
the stock of the new Delaware corporation to Pullman Inc. Pullman Car & Manufacturing
Corp. (Illinois) was then dissolved.
1932 On January 2nd the stock of the Pullman Railroad Co. was
transferred to Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware) when Pullman Car &
Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) was reincorporated in Delaware.
1932 Pullman Trust & Savings Bank was organized in Illinois with an
authorized capital of 2900 shares ($100 par value). Under the April 30, 1932 agreement it
took over the assets and assumed the liabilities of The Pullman Trust & Savings Bank
1931 The Pullman Co. built its last standard sleeping car in February.
1933 Osgood Bradley Car Corp. (Delaware) name changed on June 27th to
Pullman-Bradley Car Corp.
1933 Pullman-Standard Car Corp. (Proprietary) Limited allowed to lapse
and presumably was formally dissolved under South African law for failure to file the
1933 America's first all-aluminum sleeping car, the George M. Pullman is
placed on exhibition at A Century of Progress in Chicago.
1934 On December 26th Standard Steel Car Corp. of Delaware was a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. Standard Steel Car Corp. of Delaware had as
wholly-owned subsidiaries: Pullman-Bradley Car Corp., Richmond Car Corp., Lyndora Land
& Improvement Co. and Standard Steel Car Corp. (Pennsylvania).
On this date, Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware) participated in a statutory
merger with Standard Steel Car Corp. of Delaware, Pullman-Bradley Car Corp. and Richmond
Car Corp. The assets of these companies were transferred to Pullman Car &
Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware). Lyndora Land & Improvement Co. and Standard Steel Car
Corp. (Pennsylvania) were simultaneously liquidated and their assets transferred to
Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware). Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp.
(Delaware) issue stock to Pullman Inc. in exchange for the assets received from Standard
Steel Corp. of Delaware and its subsidiaries. Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp.
(Delaware) continued in existence as Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
1934 Dickson Car Wheel Co and New Orleans Car Wheel Co., Inc.,
wholly-owned subsidiaries of Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware), were also
liquidated on December 26, 1934, and their assets transferred to Pullman Car &
Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware).
1934 New Orleans Car Wheel Co. was dissolved on December 31st.
1934 During April Pullman Inc. purchased the assets of Canton Repair Car
Co. for cash.
1935 The Certificate of Dissolution of Dickson Car Wheel Co. became
effective on March 1st.
1935 C.A. Liddle appointed president of Pullman-Standard Car and Mfgr.
Co. He was to remain in this position until 1946.
1939 Pullman-Standard constructed a new building on Cottage Grove Avenue
just north of 111th Street for their engineering department.
1939 Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co., in an exchange of deeds
with the American Brake Shoe & Foundry Co., received the Hammond Wheel Foundry in
exchange for Pullmans Huston, Texas wheel foundry.
1940 The Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Co. of Philadelphia filed a
complaint in Federal District Court against the Pullman Co. for unfair competition by
monopoly. The litigation ended in 1944 when Pullman was ordered to sell either its
operating or manufacturing companies.
1943 The 103rd Street plant at Chicago, was converted by the Defense
Plant Corp. to manufacture aircraft wings for U.S. Army Air Corps C47 and C54 transport
1943 Pullman-Standard started production in a shipyard on Lake Calumet
in Chicago of a series of 34 patrol craft (PCEs) for the U.S. Navy and the British
government. The US Navy ordered 44 medium landing ships (LSMs) from the shipyard. The
first PCE was launched on 5 May 1943 and the first LSM was launched on 29 April 1944.
Subassembly of the boat sections was done at the 111th Street Shops. The last LSM was
launched on 31 March 1945. Pullman-Standard was the lead yard for the
construction of certain naval vessels around the country.
1943 The inactive Pullman-Standard Car Export Corp. plant in Middletown,
PA sold to the U.S. Government for $70,000.
1943 The first 1200 troop sleepers rolled off the assembly line at the
Michigan City plant in September of this year. The last troop sleeper was shipped during
March of 1944.
1944 (August 5) On 3-1-1930, Pullman Inc. acquired the properties of
Standard Steel Car Co. (Pennsylvania) which included Middletown Car Companys plant
at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. On 8-5-1944, this plant was sold to Fabrica Nacional de Vagoes
S/A (a corporation of Brazil) for $500,000.
1944 The M.W. Kellogg Co. of New Jersey, a leading engineering and
construction firm specializing in oil refining and chemical processing, acquired as a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. on December 21st.
1945 On December 31st Pullman-Standard Manufacturing Co.
successor to Pullmans Palace Car Co., The Pullman Co., Pullman Car &
Manufacturing Corp. (Illinois) and Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. (Delaware) sold
its investment in Pullman Trust & Savings Bank to the Morris Plan Corp. and to
officers and individuals of the bank.
1946 Champ Carry replaces C.A. Liddle as president of Pullman-Standard
and served until 1950. C.A. Liddle becomes chairman of the board of Pullman-Standard.
1946 (November) The 3-1-1930 Pullman Inc. acquisition of Standard Steel
Car Co. (Pennsylvania) included stock owned by Middletown Car Co. in Entreprises
Industrielles Charentaises of La Rochelle, France. On 11-25-1941 a Pullman-Standard Car
Export Corp. (formally Middletown Car Co.) resolution gave authority to negotiate for the
sale of this stock in E.I.C. Due to the declaration of war in December 1941, negotiations
which were then pending were abandoned. During the war the German occupation of France the
stock was sequestered by the German authorities. Upon the resumption of control by the
French authorities, the German interests were taken over by the French Government. In
November 1946, Pullman-Standard Car Export Corp. sold the stock to Compania Arena Limitada
(a corporation with its principal office in Zurich for $150,000.
1947 Subsequent to the 1934 merger and liquidations, the principal
subsidiaries of Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co. were Pullman Land Association,
Pullman Railroad Co. and Harbor City Land Co. The Harbor City Land Co. was liquidated on
February 28, 1947 and its net assets were transferred to Pullman-Standard Car
1947 Pullman Inc. by federal court order, sold on June 30th The Pullman
Co., the sleeping car division, to 59 railroads. The capitol stock of the company was now
owned by these railroads. There was no further connection or affiliation with Pullman
Incorporated or the Pullman-Standard Manufacturing Co. Sale price to the railroads was $40
million. See 1940 entry above.
1947 On August 1st Pullman Finance and Properties Co. was incorporated
in Delaware as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc.
1947 During this year Pullman Inc. purchased the Power Ballaster Co. of
Hammond, IN. Power Ballaster manufactured railroad track maintenance equipment.
1947 Pullman Standard introduced the PS-1 standardized box car. By 1963
over 100,000 of this design had been sold to various customers.
1947 December 22nd the stock of Pullman Railroad Co. and Pullman land
Association was paid as a dividend to Pullman Inc. by Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing
1947 Pullman Inc. exchanged the shares of Pullman Railroad Co. and
Pullman Land Association, together with cash, for 10,000 shares of Pullman Finance and
Properties on December 31st.
1948 On December 31st Pullman Incorporateds investment in
Pullman-Standard Car Export Corp. was donated to Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
1949 The Pullman School of Manual Training located on East 111th St.
1949 Pullman Finance and Properties Co. sold all of the stock of Pullman
Railroad Co. to the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Co. for cash.
1950 Champ Carry appointed president of Pullman, Inc.
1950 C.W. Bryan, Jr. was president of Pullman-Standard until
1950 On December 14th Isaacson Iron Works (a Washington Corporation)
sold certain property and assets to Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co., which included
a plant at Rockford, IL. (They manufactured tractor equipment and heavy forgings).
1951 On June 14th Trailmobile, Inc. a Delaware corporation, was
incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc.
1951 Pullman Inc. formed Trailmobile Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary,
which acquired on June 30th. substantially all of the assets of The Trailmobile Co. of
Cincinnati, a leading producer of highway trailers.
1951 The worlds first full-length dome car was produced for
the Milwaukee Road.
1951 The United Steel Workers of America called a company-wide strike.
After six weeks a settlement was negotiated in Washington, D.C. with Arthur Goldberg, who
was then General Counsel for the union.
1951 Pullman Inc. exchanged 20 shares of Pullman Car & Manufacturing
Corp. of Alabama for 20 shares of capital stock of Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
on September 28th (Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. of Alabama, a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Pullman Inc. was merged with Pullman Standard Car Manufacturing Co. pursuant
to an agreement dated September 19, 1951. By the terms of the agreement, Pullman-Standard
Car Manufacturing Co. continued as the surviving corporation. The entire capital stock of
Pullman Car & Manufacturing Corp. of Alabama was converted to shares of
Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
1952 W. Irving Osborne named a director of Pullman, Inc.
1953 (December 28) Pullman land Association sold all of its land to
Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
1953 (December 29) The Board of Directors of approved a plan of complete
liquidation and dissolution of Pullman Land Association.
1953 (December 31) Pullman Land Association paid a liquidation
distribution to Pullman Finance and Properties Co.
1954 (May 1) The certificate of final dissolution of Pullman Land
Association was completed.
1954 Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co. sold, on May 24th, its
tractor spare parts business to Allied Tractor Equipment Co.
1954 The former Allen Paper Car Wheel plant building on Cottage Grove
Avenue was demolished in November. This was George Pullman's first building at the Pullman
Car Works. Prior to demolition the building served as a shipping and receiving dock.
1955 On January 10th Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing sold its
Rockford plant to Goss Printing Press Co.
1955 On August 5th Trailmobile Finance was incorporated in Delaware as a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc.
1956 The last Pullman Standard lightweight sleeping cars (Lot 6959) were
delivered to the Union Pacific Railroad in April.
1956 Pullman main office at Michigan Ave. and Adams St. in Chicago was
1957 From 22 to 25 March the General Offices were moved from the
Merchandise Mart to the 13th and 14th floors of the Canal-Randolph Building at 165 North
Canal Street, Chicago.
1958 Pullman-Standard closed down the plant on Cottage Grove Avenue and
111th Street in Chicago and moved all operations to Building 100, located a short distance
to the east, near the Calumet Expressway.
1959 On July 1st Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co.
transferred Pullman-Standard Car Export Corp. stock to Pullman Inc.
1959 On July 1st Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Co. and Pullman
Finance and Properties Co. were merged into Pullman Inc. Pullman Finance and Properties
Co. ceased to exist and Pullman-Standard is to operate as a division of Pullman Inc.
1959 The Pullman plant in Buffalo, NY was shut down. Some of the Buffalo
employees of this facility transferred to the Calumet shops in Chicago.
1959 Transport Leasing Co. was incorporated in Delaware on August 13th
as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc.
1959 Swindell-Dressler Corp., a major designer of industrial plants, and
builder of furnaces and kilns for the metallurgical and ceramic industries, acquired on
September 23rd as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pullman Inc. via an exchange of stock
arrangement. By 1970, Swindell-Dressler was called Pullman Swindell
1960 All of the shares of The Canadian Kellogg Co., Ltd. were
transferred to Pullman Inc. on May 20th by the M.W. Kellogg Co. Directors each hold one
qualifying share. Each has signed a stock power in blank, a Declaration of Trust and a
dividend distribution direction in favor of Pullman Inc.
1960 In June of this year the company closed the Worcester, MA plant.
1961 The foundry at the Hammond, IN plant was closed.
1961 W. Irving Osborne, Jr. named president of Pullman, Inc.
1961 On December 29 the trustees of the Harriet Pullman Schermerhorn
Trust gave the University of Chicago $500,000 to endow a chair in English Composition.
1962 Unimation, Inc. organized as a Pullman Inc. subsidiary to develop,
manufacture and market an industrial robot.
1965 Standard Steel Works, Inc. a manufacturer of tank trailers,
acquired as a Pullman Inc. subsidiary.
1966 Champ Carry resigns as president of Pullman, Inc. on 30 June.
1966 W. Irving Osborne, Jr. became chairman of the Pullman board.
1966 Construction started on a new research center at the Hammond plant
during November. At its dedication on 20 June 1967 it became the Champ Carry Technical
1969 On January 1st all operations by the Pullman Co. of sleeping cars
for the various railroads ceased. This was stated by G.W. Bohannon, president of Pullman
Co. See 1947 entry above.
1970 The Chicago Calumet shops were closed.
1970 On December 20 Pullman Corp. announced that the Michigan, IN
freight car plant was closed
1971 The community of Pullman is declared a local, state and national
1972 The company won an order from the New York Transit System for 754
cars, the largest order ever placed for such equipment with a single manufacturer.
1974 W. Irving Osborne, Jr. retired as chairman of the Pullman board.
1975 On 4 April of this year James A. McDivitt was elected Vice
President of Pullman Inc. He was to have corporate responsibility for the Pullman-Standard
Division. He later became president of the Pullman-Standard Division.
1979 Since the start of the Bessemer operation approximately 260,00
freight car units have been shipped. This includes box, hopper, gondola and flat cars.
1980 Silas Keehn selected chairman of the board of Pullman, Inc.
1981 Pullman was incorporated in Delaware as a wholly owned subsidiary
of Wheelabrator-Frye, Inc. to serve as a holding company in the transportation industry.
Pullman Swindell was teamed with The Rust Engineering Company, the sixth largest
engineering firm in the USA.
1981 This year saw the outshopping of an Amtrak bi-level car, the George
M. Pullman. In 2000 this car was still operating between Chicago and the west coast.
1982 The Pullman-Standard plant, located in Building 100, in Chicago was
1983 Pullman Transportation Co. Inc. sold virtually all of its rail-car
manufacturing assets to Trinity Industries Inc. Pullman Transportation also acquired two
transportation-related businesses from Signal Cos. Inc. Trailmobile Inc. and
Aerospace Division for $28 million.
1984 Pullman sold its freight car plants in Butler, PA and Bessemer, AL
to Dallas-based Trinity Industries, Inc.
1985 On October 25, Pullman acquired Peabody International Corp.
1987 Joseph T. Ryerson, Inc. purchased the eastern section of the
Pullman-Standard plant in Chicago. This portion of the Pullman plant Building No. 100) is
bounded roughly, by 105th Street on the north, the Calumet Expressway on the east, 111th
Street on the south and industrial railroad tracks of the old Pullman Railroad on the
1987 Pullman Co. of Princeton, NJ agrees to buy Clevite of Glenville,
IL. Pullman's chairman and CEO, Thomas M. Begel, stated that he wanted to build Pullman's
assets and earnings through the acquisition of industrial manufacturing businesses.
Pullman, formerly known as Pullman-Peabody Co. has been shopping for an acquisition since
being rebuffed by Joy Manufacturing Co. last year. The Wall Street Journal, 26 May.
1988 Forstmann Little & Co. reached a definitive merger agreement
under which Pullman would receive $650 million. Under the deal, the FLPC Acquisition
Corp., a company formed by Forstmann Little for the acquisition, would pay $9.25 in cash
per share for Pullman's 41.9 million shares, or about $387.57 million. Forstmann will also
assume debt and expenses giving the deal a value of $650 million. Chicago Tribune,
1994 The former paint shop of Pullman in Danville, IL was acquired by
JAIX Leasing Co. This is being converted into a car-rebuilding shop. Chicago Tribune, 7
1994 Pullman sold its freight car plants in Bessemer, AL and Butler, PA
to Dallas-based Trinity, Industries, Inc.
1995 Wm. T. Ylvisaker was named chairman of American Passenger Rail Car
Co. or Amerail which was spun off as an independent company by the ailing Morrison Knudsen
Corp. The new company's headquarters are located in the old Pullman Standard building at
900 E. 103rd St. in Chicago. Chicago Tribune, 18 October.
1996 Tenneco of Greenwich, CT completed buyout of Pullman Co. for $300
million in a move that increases Tenneco's stake in the auto parts industry. Pullman's
main business is Clevite, which makes auto and truck suspension systems. Chicago Tribune,
1998 In December the 1880 Administration Building/Erection Shops located
at Cottage Grove Avenue and 111th Street in Chicago were seriously damaged by fire. A task
force headed by former governor of Illinois James Thompson was formed to investigate the
possibility of rebuilding these historic buildings.
2002 On November 1st of this year W. Irving Osborne, Jr. former chairman
of the Pullman board died in his Lake Forest, IL home. Chicago Tribune, November 4, 2002.