||Bridges - Pennsylvania Railroad Bridges c1915
||Ralroad Elevator lift bridges crossing the Calumet River at 96th Street, looking north. First two bridges in view were built for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago RR and were completed in September, 1913. Next two bridges were built for Lake Shore & Michigan Southern RR and were completed in 1915. Beyond four lift bridges is the B&O single leaf bascule bridge completed in 1913 but not open to traffic because of conflict with earlier bridges. Bridges in view are open to allow lake boats to pass under. In distance, steel mills can be seen. In 1965, the second bridge in this view was demolished. Currently, only the bridge closest in view (farthest south) is still used by rail traffic.
||1631; http://www.pullman-museum.org/cgi-bin/pvm/mainRecordDisplayXML.pl?recordid=10524; 81-8-10a
||The Industrial Heritage Archives provides reproductions of items from its collections for personal or research use. If an image is to be reproduced in any type of publication or on the web, written permission is required and use fees may be assessed.
||Southeast Chicago Historical Society